Hello EWDC Students & Families!
Thank you for your support and participation in our virtual and socially-distanced 2020-21 programming! We'll use this page to share resources with EWDC families and any others who are in need of extra resources.
Sending love and practicing optimism,
The EWDC Team
Program Enrollment Details
- To register for programs, residents of the DC Metro Area can visit this link.
- Not quite ready to sign up for full programs? Check out a list of StoryTime, Family Workshop, or other one-time events coming up on our calendar.
- Families who are registered for either the full year OR one-time events should add firstname.lastname@example.org to their address book to ensure that followup emails come to their inbox.
Power Readers Family Info
- Just registered? Awesome! Please watch this Family Orientation for a brief overview before we match your student with a mentor.
- For more details on the online Epic! shared reading platform, click here.
Online Shared Reading and Writing Resources
Here, you'll find a sampling of online content to support children's literacy and love of reading.
- Shared Reading in Space! EWDC is partnering with Blue Origin to help DC-area youth send your mail to space! Using the instructions on this handout, students of all ages can make a postcard answering the prompt, "Earth needs space because..." Postcards should be mailed to EWDC by November 30th to get scheduled for the next flight to space. Lift off!
- Audiobooks, e-books, and online shared read alouds from DC Public Libraries
- First Lady Obama's Mondays with Michelle read alouds from PBS Kids and Random House Publishing (Mondays, 12PM Eastern)
- Daily Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems, author/illustrator of the Pigeon book series
- Video read alouds from Reach, Incorporated's DC teen authors
- Stay-At-Home Storytime with Oliver Jeffers, author/illustrator and children's literature activist
- Tuesday Writers Workshop with Kate DiCamillo, author of The Tale of Despereaux
- Friday Fun videos with Dave Pilkey, author/illustrator of the Dogman book series
- Ongoing Save with Stories online read alouds by actors and artists
LOTS of famous children's authors, actors, and public figures are also sharing read-alouds and other interactive posts via social media. Here's a compilation of many of these resources!
Parenting in the time of COVID-19
This section highlights resources that parents might use to navigate this unprecedented time.
- Perspective piece from author and psychotherapist Dr. Katie Hurley, Washington Post contributor
- Free, printable children's book about COVID-19 from The Gruffalo's illustrator, Axel Scheffler(multiple languages available!)
- Zero to Three's Tips for Families
- The National Association of School Psychologists's Helping Children Cope resource
- This infographic of six best COVID-19 parenting practices from WHO, UNICEF, and CDC collaboration
- Common Sense Media's resources for at-home learning on WideOpenSchools.org
Promoting Socioemotional Health
We know this is a uniquely trying time. We encourage you to take care of yourselves as well as others!