EVERYBODY WINS DC NEEDS YOUR HELP! Join Power Lunch as a Reading Mentor today!
The Power Lunch program matches public elementary students with professionals from the community and uses that one-on-one connection to instill a love of reading and learning. The commitment is just one hour a week for the school year (or one hour every two weeks if you pair up with a co-worker) and the mentoring session is held during the student’s lunch period.
During the 2017-2018 school year, our Power Lunch mentors spent thousands of hours reading with 383 students at 12 local schools. At the same time, hundreds of students were on our waiting list waiting for a mentor. That’s where you come in!
The majority of our Reading Mentors participate as part of a company or office-sponsored Power Lunch partnership with EWDC. These Power Lunch partners provide critical support – both financial and other. Self-employed, retired, or other individuals who do not work from an office are also welcome to join the Power Lunch Program. Contact us for details.
Is your place of employment interested in becoming a Power Lunch Partner? Learn more here!
“I have loved my time with Everybody Wins. In fact, reading at Francis Stevens is often the most exciting part of my week. Getting to interact with my buddy over our shared love of books is such a refreshing way to start a Monday morning!”
School Without Walls at Francis Stevens
Ready to get started? Great! Follow these easy steps:
- Fill out the Mentor Interest Form.
- Complete the DCPS Volunteer Application. Click here for details. You can skip this step if you plan to be a Reading Mentor at Key Elementary School in Arlington, VA.
- We will assign you a student.
- Attend a Mentor Orientation. Both new and returning mentors receive an orientation before their first session.
- Start reading!
- Improve your student’s life through shared reading experiences.