Read in Color
Less than a third of all children’s books are centered on diverse characters, voices, and experiences. That means for most children in Washington, DC, their lives aren't represented within the books they read. And when children can’t see themselves on a page, they aren’t getting the support they need to thrive. That needs to change.
EWDC has proudly partnered with the national Little Free Library organization for their Read in Color Initiative. Through this effort, EWDC and The Book Project has placed 21 new book-sharing boxes in high need communities and will continually fill them with books that highlight diverse characters, elevate marginalized voices, and promote equity, inclusion, and social justice.
Not only will this put thousands of additional books into the hands of children, they will be books that make a difference.
Little Free Library Locations
EWDC and The Book Project have placed 21 new book-sharing boxes in Washington, DC and Virginia:
- Washington Nationals Youth Baseball Academy(Click here to see the launch)
- Excel Academy Public School
- House of Ruth's Kidspace Child And Family Development Center
- Woodland Terrrace (DC Housing Authority)
- Innovation Elementary School
- Escuela Key Elementary School
Click here to see our entire Read in Color footprint.
Click here to read an update on Read in Color and other EWDC programs in our 2021-22 Mid-Year Report.
How to Support
Looking for ways to support the Read in Color initiative in Washington, DC and expand access to diverse books in more communities? Here's how:
- Buy books - we have an extensive Amazon wishlist of titles to choose from. Click here to view.
- Organize a Read in Color book drive - book drives can be done through work, book clubs, fraternities, sororities, church groups, etc... You name it, it can be done! We provide all the materials you need, just email: email@example.com
- Help deliver books to Little Free Libraries
- Note writing: write a kind and encouraging note to a child. Click here for notes writing instructions.
- Partner with EWDC: EWDC is looking for organizations to serve as stewards of Little Free Libraries and/or general sponsors for the Read in Color initiative. Email Rody Baron: firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about organizational opportunities.