Read in Color
During the 2020-21 program year, Everybody Wins DC distributed over 6,000 free books to children, families, schools, and community partners across the Washington, DC region. While this effort had an amazing impact on children's lives, improving access alone isn't enough.
Less than a third of all children’s books are centered on diverse characters, voices, and experiences. That means for most children in Washington, DC, their lives aren't represented within the books they read. And when children can’t see themselves on a page, they aren’t getting the support they need to thrive. That needs to change.
EWDC has proudly partnered with the national Little Free Library organization for their Read in Color Initiative. Through this effort, EWDC and The Book Project will place 21 new book-sharing boxes in high need communitiesand will continually fill them with books that highlight diverse characters, elevate marginalized voices, and promote equity, inclusion, and social justice.
Not only will this put over 4,000 additional books into the hands of children, they will be books that make a difference.
Little Free Library Locations
As of July 2021, 6 Read in Color boxes have been installed and another 6 locations have been confirmed. The remaining 9 will be determined in partnership with community organizations and Book Project sponsors.
- CentroNía - the first Washington, D.C. location to receive a Read in Color Little Free Library. See how we celebrated the launch.
- Highland Dwellings (DC Housing Authority)
- Thomas Elementary School
- Plaza West
- J.O. Wilson Elementary
- Woodland Terrace
How to Support
Looking for ways to support the Read in Color initiative in Washington, DC and expand access to diverse books in more communities? Here's how:
- Buy books - we have an extensive Amazon wishlist of titles to choose from. Click here to view.
- Organize a Read in Color book drive - book drives can be done through work, book clubs, fraternities, sororities, church groups, etc... You name it, it can be done! We provide all the materials you need, just email: email@example.com
- Help deliver books to Little Free Libraries
- Note writing: write a kind and encouraging note to a child. Click here for notes writing instructions.
- Partner with EWDC: EWDC is looking for organizations to serve as stewards of Little Free Libraries and/or general sponsors for the Read in Color initiative. Email Rody Baron: firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about organizational opportunities.